Grand Canyon of the Colorado, near the big bend by Peach Springs, by William Henry Jackson, probably 1892, when, along with Thomas Moran, they traveled for the Sante Fe Railroad. Jackson was the offical photographer of the Hayden Survey of the American West, 1871-1878.The National Museum of Art, Smithsonian Institution.
Grand Canyon Place Names offers a background and quick historical reference to the names of various Canyons, Buttes, Temples, Creeks, Points, and other places in the Grand Canyon and surrounding area. The story behind the names from John Wesley Powell, Frank Bond, George Wharton James, Harvey Butchart, and others! Please send me any corrections or additions!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Apache Point On south side, S.W. of Powell Plateau. Named for Indian tribe of the same name. Apache Terraces Below Apache Point, these are well defined terraced benches. Apex The highest point of the Grand Canyon Railroad line. The Apex of the line. Arrowhead Terrace Named by Frank Bond, a terrace between Stone and Galloway Canyons, below Steamboat Mountain, actually looks like a arrowhead from above. Aubrey Spring On the Hualapai Reservation under the upper Canyon rim. Named for Francois X Aubrey. Ayer Peak Peak to the east of Hance Canyon. Named for Mrs. Ed E. Ayer, the first non-native woman to descend the Grand Canyon at this place. Now called Coronado Butte. B
Babylon Cave Off the west side of Horseshoe Mesa. Located near Cave of the Domes. Badger and Soap Creeks Two small, usually dry Canyon entering Marble Canyon on the North side about 10 miles from Lee's Ferry. The story goes that Jacob Hamblin killed a badger in one canyon and carried it to the other to their camp on the other to boil it for food. The next morning, because of the alkali in the water and the fat from the badger, there was nothing but a kettle of soap! Ballenger Mormon settlement on the Little Colorado River named and founded by Jesse O. Ballenger in March 1876. Located 4 miles S.W. of Sunset Crossing, east of the present day town of Winslow. Banta Point Located below Atoka Point on the North side. Named for A. F. Banta, chief scout for General Crook, from Fort Whipple, 1865 to 1871. Barbencita Butte Located just above the mouth of Nankoweap Creek. Named by Frank Bond for a friendly chief of the Navaho Tribe, Barbencita, who helped John Wesley Powell on his second expedition through the Grand Canyon. Basalt Creek Named by Frank Bond this usually dry creek and canyon is located on the North side opposite Tanner Beach. Geologically descriptive. Bass Former railroad Station in Grand Canyon National Park. William Wallace Bass was an early settler, guide and explorer. He came to town of Williams in 1883 from the east on account of his ill health. He located a camp on the South Rim of Grand Canyon in 1884, 27 miles west of the present Village. In 1895 he married Ada Diefendorf, a tourist, also from the east. They had four children together. With Captain Burro, a Havasupai, he discovered Mystic Spring. Bass built a trail to the spring and rewarded the Captain with flour and half a beef for his efforts. Bass had camps on the South Rim, mines, and camps on the north side at Shinumo Creek. A cable car crossed the river. Mr. Bass helped the Havasupai establish a school. The Santa Fe Railroad purchased his tourist business in 1923. Bass Point Also called Havasupai Point, South Rim point on east side from Pasture Wash, east of Bass Camp. Named by George Warton James. Bear Headland On the west side of the upper end of the Coconino Plateau, outline resembles the head of a bear. Named by Frank Bond. Bear Spring Spring at which Beale camped near the San Francisco Mountains in July, 1859. Beale says: "It was about 4 miles west of where we met the two men on camels." This was about 20 miles west of Cosnino Cave. Undoubtedly the present day Elden Spring, about 4 miles northeast of Flagstaff. Big Springs U. S. Forest Ranger Station, Kaibab N. F. in northwest corner. Some very large springs rise here from which comes the name. They drain into Nail Canyon. One of the largest watering places on the Kaibab Plateau. Bill Williams Mountain Elevation 9,264 feet, about 6 miles southeast of Williams. According to James, the Havasupai Indians call this Hue-ga-woo-la or Bear Mountain. Named for Bill Williams, famous scout, guide, and hunter. Appears on most early maps and mentioned by all early explorers. Mike Burns says the Apache-Mohaves called the mountain "jock-ha-weha" meaning "covered with cedar." Bitter Springs Spring on old road to Lee's Ferry, about 18 miles south of the ferry. On Navajo Indian Reservation west side Echo cliffs. "The waters of the spring have a very bitter taste." Black Bill Park An open park in the forest. After an old timer known locally as "Black Bill." Three miles northeast of Elden mountain. "Black Bill West" (H. Conrad) took up 160 acres of land in what is now called "Black Bill Park" through which he supposed a projected railroad to the Grand Canyon, would pass. The road was never built and he abandoned the land. He died at the Pioneers Home in Prescott about 1926. Black Falls On the Little Colorado river about 40 miles northeast of Flagstaff. Named for falls in the river which runs over several "bars" of black lava. An exciting fall when the Little Colorado is running. Located downstream of Grand Falls. Black Knob On the Navajo Reservation on the east side of the Little Colorado River. An isolated volcanic, black cone. Blacktail Canyon Named by Frank Bond, a mostly dry canyon coming down off of Powell Plateau to the Colorado River. At this point the black schist first becomes visible at the beach, resembling a "Black tail". At river mile 120 on the north side. Blue Canyon A Trading Post located in Moenkopi Wash on the Navaho Reservation. The formation is blue. Blue Mountain A blue mountain on the eastern edge of the Hualapai Reservation. "Looking at it from the valley this mountain always has a deep blue shade." Blue Spring The largest spring in the Little Colorado Gorge, located 13.5 miles from the mouth. The mineral water is okay to drink , but most don't find it appealing. Harvey says, "the shallow pools seem to be pale blue and the deep lagoon at the mouth is a much deeper blue than the sky." An analysis of the water, from "Geology in Relation to Availability of Water Along the South Rim Grand Canyon National Park
Arizona" USGS Water-Supply Paper 1475-C, by D.G. Metzger, 1961. From 1950 to 1958: the chemicals listed are: Silica, calcium, Magnesium, Sodium and Potassium, Bicarbonate, Carbonate, Sulfate, Chloride, Fluoride, Nitrate.
Boucher Creek Located below Mimbreno Point, a few miles west of Hermit Creek. Named for Louis Boucher, the "Hermit" who arrived at Grand Canyon in 1891. Although he lived at Dripping Springs near the head of Hermit Canyon, he built a trail to his copper mine in Boucher Canyon. He moved on to Utah in 1912. Edwin Corle said, "He wore a white beard, rode a white mule, and told only white lies." Boulder Narrows At river mile 18.5, named for a great rock lying in the current of the Colorado River. Ancient driftwood lies on top, reminding us of the high water of days before Glen Canyon Dam. Bourke Point Located two mile N.E. of Point Imperial, named for Captain John G. Bourke, an aid to General Crook. Captain Bourke was the author of several books on Arizona. Bradley Point Redwall Point below Zoroaster Temple, named by Frank Bond, for G. Y. Bradley, a member of John Wesley Powell's first party in 1869. Brady Peak Point below Vista Encantada on the Cape Royal Road. Named by Frank Bond for Peter R. Brady, an Arizona pioneer. Brady came to Arizona in 1854, and later became a state senator. Bridge of Sighs A Natural Bridge named by the Kolb Brothers, Emery and Ellsworth, located along the Colorado River downstream from South Canyon on the North side of the river. Located in the Redwall Limestone, the Bridge was formed by water percolating down. There is a prehistoric (and technical) route to the Colorado River through the Bridge. Bright Angel Bridge The silver bridge over the Colorado River near the mouth of Bright Angel Creek. Built in 1970. The water pipeline to the South Rim crosses there also. Bright Angel Creek Perennial Creek that flows from almost the North Rim to the Colorado River. Dellenbaugh said "Its waters were very clear. The name was applied by the Major on his first trip to offset the name Dirty Devil, applied to a stream farther up river." Powell said, "The little affluent we discovered here is a clear, beautiful creek or river...in beautiful contrast we concluded to name it 'Bright Angel.'" Broadway Mesa
On the Navaho Reservation on the west side of the Echo Cliffs. The correct term is a Piute word Bodaway. From Gregory's 1916 map. Buckskin Mountains Now known as the Kaibab Plateau, on the North side of the Grand Canyon. Very high, elevations rise to more than 10,000'. Called Buckskin because Kaibab, Navahos and settlers obtained their supply of buckskin from the trophy size Mule deer found there. The Native Americans referred to the plateau as "The Mountain Lying Down." Burkes Tanks On the Little Colorado River 13 miles S.W. of Grand Falls Named by Erastus Snow for Hubert Burke on October 25, 1878. Butchart's Notch Butchart's Notch is a short cut on the Escalante Route lying between Escalante Creek drainage and 75 Mile Creek drainages, where an arm of the Escalante Butte extends westward directly toward Neville Rapids. Going over the Notch is reported to be faster and more exciting than contouring
around the west end of the ridge
Cameron Town on the south side of the Little Colorado River at the Government Bridge. Named for Ralph H. Cameron, opportunist, U.S. Senator. Cameron Trail Named for Ralph H. Cameron, U.S. Senator, the first name given to the Bright Angel Trail. Cameron built this trail to reach his copper mines. The mines were never productive and actually were just an excuse to grab land. He charged a toll to travel down the trail. When he sold the trail to Coconino County, the name was changed to Bright Angel Trail. Cane Canyon From the Kaibab National Forest Map, 1926 a canyon and stream running N.E. into the Colorado River near Bright Angel Trail. the head is a spring with cane or reeds. Not on present maps. Canyon de Chelly A Spanish corruption of the Navaho word "Tschegi" "among the cliffs" "ghosts or evil spirits" Most of the year this is a dry wash rising in the Tunicha Mountains on the Arizona/New Mexico state lines. Kit Carson had a battle here with the Navajos, January 1864. Cape Royal The southern extremity of the Wahalla Plateau. Named by members of the U.S.G.S. A commanding view to the south, east, and west, above the Angel's Window. Formerly called Greenland Point. Cape Solitude Located directly above the confluence of the Colorado and Little Colorado Rivers'. "It stands solitary and alone." This was a favorite point of Edward Abbey. The park service has now closed the road out to Cape Solitude so it is now difficult to get to. There is no water anywhere along the route. Cardenas Butte Below Lipan Point, next to Escalante Butte. Accessed by the Tanner Tail. Named for Don Garcia Lopez Cardenas, one of Coronado's Captains, who in 1540, became one of the first white people to view the huge Canyon cut by the Colorado River in Northern Arizona. Cardenas Creek Usually dry wash off the Tanner Trail, beginning at Cardenas Butte. Named for Don Garcia Lopez Cardenas Castle Butte A butte resembling a huge castle on Hopi land six miles N.E. of Tuba City. Cataract Canyon Begins at Williams and flows eventually into the Colorado River. In 1776 Garces called it the "Rio de San Antonio." In 1857, Ives called it "Cataract" and "Cascade Creek." The bottom part of the canyon is the Havasupai reservation and known for a series of wonderful, blue, waterfalls. The village is called Supai. The creek is called Havasu Creek, but has also been called Coaini Creek. Cave of the Domes Off the side of Horseshoe Mesa. Cedar Mountain Easily visible from Desert View to the N. E. "A cedar covered peak" the elevation is 7,057 feet. Cheyava Falls Located in upper Clear Creek north of Honan Point. Named by Ellsworth Kolb in 1923. Cheyava is a Hopi word meaning off and on or intermittent, as the falls only flow in the spring. Most of the year they are only a wet streak on the cliff. They can be seen from the South Rim. Chiavria Point Named by Frank Bond for Juan Chavria, a noted Maricopa Chief. Located above upper Lava Creek. below the east side of the Wahalla Plateau. Chikapanagi Mesa Esplanade area between Olo and Matkatamiba Canyons, below the Great Thumb area and Chikapangi Point. Named for a Havasupai friend of W. W. Bass. Bass would give him a rifle and three shells and he would come back with three deer. Chuar Creek Located west of Gunther's Castle it flows into Lava Creek. Named for one of Powell's Kaibab Indian friends, a young Chief called "Chuar-oo-um-peak" but called Chuar for short and called Frank by whites. Clear Creek Large, year round flowing creek beginning in the Canyon west of Cheyava Falls below the rim on the South side of the Walhalla Plateau. Trout spawn in the lower section below some falls. Clement Powell Butte On the west side of Bright Angel Creek, three miles up for the Colorado River. Named for Clement Powell, the assistant photographer on the second Powell expedition in 1871 and 1872. Coanini Creek The present day Havasu Creek, named by Powell. "This is the most important stream to the south" Powell was aware that the head of this creek was in the San Francisco Mountains to the south. Cochise Butte Above the south side of Kwagunt Creek, named for the great Apache Chief, Cochise. Cocks Comb An unusual, narrow, sharp, and pointed ridge resembling a rooster's comb running north and south between North and South Canyons, in the eastern edge of the Kaibab Forest north of Saddle Mountain. Coconino County From the Havasupai word meaning "little water." Coconino Station The former railroad station eight miles from Grand Canyon. Coconino National Forest Established January 02, 1908 from the Black Mesa Forest Reserve, the San Francisco Mountains Forest reserve and the Grand Canyon Forest Reserve (established February 20, 1893) Coconino Plateau A broad geological plateau on the Grand Canyon's south side. Named in 1892 by C. Hart Merriam to the area between Bass Camp and Coconino Point overlooking the Little Colorado River. Coconino Point I thought this was overlooking the Little Colorado along Highway 64? Colorado River Spanish meaning red. The river want through many different names over the years. In 1540 it was called "Rio del Tizon" or the Firebrand by Melchoir Diaz. Also in 1540, it was called "Rio do Buenaguia" or The River of Good Guidance. In 1776, Garces called it "Rio do los Martyrs" or River of Martyrs. Colter Butte Below Atoka Point, above Kwaguat Creek, named for James G. H. Colter, a desperado fighter, farmer, rancher, freighter. Commanche Point Once called Bissel Point, located on the Palisades, between Desert View and the Little Colorado. Cope Plateau Named for a paleontologist named Kope. Don't know where this is? Cranberry Canyon Canyon west of Deer Creek that provides an interesting route to Deer Creek and the Colorado River. Named by David Mortenson who discovered this route on Thanksgiving. Cremation Canyon The head is at Shoshone Point east of Yaki Point. Indians would offer their dead to the canyon here. Shoshone Point is still used for wakes and weddings. Crossing of the Fathers A ford on the Colorado River 35 miles above Lee's Ferry. Sometimes called Ute Crossing as the Ute's crossed here often. In 1776, Hernando d' Escalante Fontaneda, a priest from Santa Fe, crossed here on his wanderings through present day Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, and Ute country. Cub Headland Named by Frank Bond, on the west side of the Coconino Plateau, headland resembling a bear cub. D
Dana Butte A large headland seen from the Powell Memorial on the South Rim. Danta Headland On the west side of the upper reach of the Coconino Plateau. Its outline resembles the head of a tapir with its mouth wide open. Dellenbaugh Mount On the south end of the Shivwits Plateau with an elevation of 6,750 feet. named by Major Powell for Frederick S. Dellenbaugh, artist, topographic engineer, and historian on the second canyon expedition. "When they came down from Mount Logan Major Powell said he had seen a fine isolated mountain to the west which he had called after me. I naturally felt much pleased to have my name on the map." From A Canyon Voyage DeMotte Park Large open park along Highway 67 in the North Kaibab National Forest, just north of the park entrance station. Named by Powell in 1872, after Professor Harry C. DeMotte who left the trip at Lee's Ferry. Also called V.T. Park, after the V.T. Cattle Company, a Morman outfit, which had their summer headquarters there. Cattle grazed in DeMotte Park until the creation of the National Park in 1919. Now there is a store, campground, and Kaibab Lodge located here. Desert View Point Formerly called Navajo Point, looking east much of the Navajo Reservation is visible. The Watchtower is located here. Named by the U.S.G.S. in 1933. Desert View Watchtower Inspired by the Anasazi and Pueblo Indians, the Watchtower was completed in 1932. Designed by the architect Mary Jane Colter. She also did Phantom Ranch, Bright Angel Lodge, Hopi House, Colter Hall, and others. De Vargas Terrace At the southern end of the Powell Plateau. De Vargas was an officer with Coronado. Diamond Canyon Named by Ives in 1857, who with Doctor Newberry explored this area. The head is on the Hualapai reservation north of Peach Springs. Diamond Peak in on the park border. Now called Diamond Creek, it is a popular river trip take out with a road to the river down the canyon. Dove Springs North of the Kaibito Plateau on the Navajo Reservation. Flocks of Doves often stop here to rest and water. Dox Castle On the south side of Flint Creek, below the Holy Grail, it is named for Miss Virginia Dox, an early visitor. Dunn Butte Located three miles N.E. of Lyell Butte. Named for William H. Dunn, of Powell's first expedition in 1869. Dunn, along with the Howland brothers were murdered by Shivwits Indians after leaving Powell's party in 1869. Duppa Butte Above Kwagunt Creek, below Point Imperil, named for Bryan P.D. Duppa, a early pioneer who died at the hands of Apaches at Agua Fria in 1872. Dutton Point Named for Clarence E Dutton. On the east side of the Powell Plateau, elevation of 7,555 feet. James called him "a brilliant writer, poet and geologist." "To the left is a hump on the surface of the wall and this we call 'Powell Arch' for the great explorer." E
Ebert Mountain On the Tusayan National Forest Map of 1927. Probably named for Lieutenant Abert who was with the Emory party of 1846/1847. Albert discovered the Abert squirrel "Sciurus aberti" which is found on the South Rim. Echo Cliffs On the Navajo Reservation extending south from Lee's Ferry. Visible from Highway's 89A and 89 to the east. Named by John Wesley Powell. Echo Peaks Opposite Lee's Ferry with an elevation of 5,360 feet. Dellenbaugh said, "The echoes were so remarkable we could call it nothing but Echo Peak. Since then this name has been applied to the line of cliffs breaking to the south." Climbed by the three of the Powell party in 1871. When one of the party shot their pistol, there were 22 echoes! Ehrenberg Point On the north side, southeast of Point Imperial, named for Hermann Ehrenberg. Elephant Butte On Highway 160, a few miles outside Tuba City. "A tall, outstanding lava plug that can be seen form all sides." El Tovar The famous hotel at the end of the railroad tracks at the South Rim Village. Named for Don Pedro Tovar, a captain with the Coronado expedition, in 1541, who did not see the Grand Canyon. Captain Tovar explored the Tusayan forest and visited Moki villages where the Indians told him about a great river several days journey to the north. the Captain returned to Coronado with this information. "Then Captain Cardenas was sent with twelve soldiers to seek the great river. He marched north and west for twenty days and found the river. He spent five or six days trying to get down its precipitous banks, but could find no place to descend. This was the first visit of Europeans to the canyon of the Colorado." Escalante Butte Butte below Lipan Point accessed by the Tanner Trail. Named for Father Escalante, one of the leaders of a Spanish 1775/1776 expedition from Santa Fe. Escalante Creek Begins below Navajo Point near Desert View and flows into the Colorado River. Dry most of the time. Named for Father Escalante, one of the leaders of a 1775/1776 expedition from Santa Fe. Espejo Butte Located midway between the Little Colorado River and Desert View below the Palisades. A short dry creek of the same name flows into the Colorado River. Named for Antonio Espejo, a Spanish explorer who visited northern Arizona in 1582. Esplanade Named by the great geologist Clarence Dutton in 1882, this describes the great expanse of bare rock West of the Grand Scenic Divide that begins near the South Bass Trail. From the Rim the Esplanade looks flat and easy to travel, but hikers know it is broken by many arms of side Canyons. The Esplanade continues past Lava Falls. Excalibur Tower East of the Powell Plateau, above the Modred Abyss. Named for King Arthur's magic sword. Outlines of mountain resemble a sword handle in the ground. Named by the U.S.G.S. Other temples in this area include the Holy Grail, Guinevere Castle, Elaine Castle, and Galahad Point, plus others. F
Feroz Terrace The name refers to a dragon looking feature descending west from the north side of Powell Plateau. Named by Frank Bond. Between Galloway and Stone? Fiske Wall A huge wall formation, honoring John Fiske, a scientist. Flagstaff Beale camped at Leroux Spring on April 15, 1858. Also called Antelope Spring and later Banta Spring. Later at the spring some military boys lashed a flagpole to the top of high tree near the spring, now called Old Town Spring. In the summer of 1876, the little settlement was trying to get a post office and needed a name. Doc Brannen and Ed Whipple decided on the name Flagstaff upon seeing the flagpole at the spring. The town gradually grew up around this spring and flagpole. Flax River Another name for the Little Colorado River meaning flax or linen for the plant that grew on the banks. Ives called it this. Beale called it the Colorado Chiquito in 1859. Newberry, a geologist, called it the Little Colorado River in 1861. Flint Creek Begins on the west side of Point Sublime and flows into Shinumo Creek. Named for the geological formations along the creek. Flint has a permanent flow of excellent water. Forest Lagoons Flood water lakes on the Hualapai Reservation in the pine forest north of Pine Springs. Named by Ives. Fossil Canyon Huge amphitheater facing the south off the east side of the great Thumb. Always gets sun and in the summer is extremely hot. Explored by Harvey Butchart. The Canyon drains Fossil Bay and is dry except for potholes and a seep spring at the head of the north arm at the base of the Coconino discovered by Allyn Cureton. There is also a spring in the Supai north of the Redwall gorge found by Jim Ohlman. Fourmile Spring A small seep located four miles from the head of the Hermit Trail west of the Grand Canyon Village. Located a short distance beyond Santa Maria Spring, it is now dry. Franklin Heaton Reservoir Water hole on the southern end of the Hurricane Ledge two miles east of Cooper Pockets, and northeast of Mount Trumbell. Located in 1865 by Franklin Heaton, a settler from Pipe Springs. Fredonia Settled beginning in 1865 with people from Kanab, Utah, to the north. With the federal laws against polygamy Mormons sent their extra wives to Free-donia to avoid prosecution. The name is a combination off Dona (woman) and free. G
Gannet Tower Named by James for Henry Gannet. Location? Gatagama Terrace Named for a Havasupai Indian Family. Located off northwest side of Great Thumb. Geike Monument Named by G. Wharton James, "On the south side of canyon below Drummond Point is a huge mass, like a crouching lion, which I named in honor of the well known British Geologist." Ghost Rock West of Deer Creek. Named for the white effigies of two persons, larger than life, under an overhang. Named by George Billingsley. A old cowboy camp is nearby also. Gilbert Terrace Named for C. K. Gilbert, geologist, who ascended the Colorado River to Diamond Creek with the Wheeler party. Glen Canyon Running from the Paria to the confluence of the Colorado and San Juan River in Utah. Powell writes, "We have now entered a new canyon... It opened into many 'glens' or coves, and we decided to call it Glen Canyon." Now mostly submerged under Lake Powell. Glen Canyon Dam Built between 1956 and 1963 the huge dam is operated by the Bureau of Reclamation. The dam is almost 16 miles upstream from Lee's Ferry. The lake behind it extends for 180 miles. The dam is a symbol of bad judgment to some environmental groups. Grand Canyon Refers to the village on the South Rim at 6,866 feet. Originally called Hances's Tank. The Santa Fe extended their branch rail line here in 1902. Martin Buggeln was the first postmaster. Now called Grand Canyon Village. Grand Canyon Forest Reserve Created on February 20, 1893 it included land on both the north and south sides. Land was taken near the rim and called Grand Canyon National Park. Later the Grand Canyon Forest Reserve was called the Kaibab National Forest on the north side and the Coconino National Forest on the the south side. Grand Canyon National Park Created on February 26, 1919. Boundaries have been adjusted several times to include the Marble Canyon National Monument to the east and Grand Canyon National Monument to the west. Adjustments were also made to the Havasupai Reservation Boundaries. Grand Canyon of the Colorado River Named by Powell, "Its head at the confluence of the Little Colorado River, its foot at the entrance of Nonnow Valley; its length 238 miles." Dellenbaugh writes, "Powell was responsible for most of the names in the Canyon. He called it Grand Canyon on the first trip. Previously it was the Big Canyon or Great Canyon by the few who knew of it." Grand Cliff Range Usually called the Grand Wash Cliffs, begins at the west end of the Hualapai Reservation. Grand Falls A huge seasonal fall near Leupp, 45 miles northwest of Winslow, where the Little Colorado pours over some lava cliffs. A real sight during spring snowmelt or after a summer monsoon. Grand Gulch Large Canyon that begins on Cedar Mesa in Utah, flowing into the San Juan River. Grand Scenic Divide A high divide on the south side of the Colorado River between Bass and Serpentine Canyons. The head is at he Darwin Plateau. Named by James. Grand View Point Named by the U.S.G.S., a point on the East Rim Drive. A trail by the same name (Originally called the Berry Trail) goes to Berry's copper mines on Horseshoe Mesa and connects to the Colorado River. Pete Berry built the first hotel at Grand View Point in 1892. Grand Wash A deep gorge in the northeast corner of Arizona extending from Mount Bangs to the Colorado River west of Iceberg Canyon. Granite Gorge Begins at Hance Rapid on the Colorado River and extends for 41 miles. Granite Park In the western Grand Canyon below the Hualapai land at river mile 209. A wide open area with a ancient route to the rim. Some Anasazi ruins are located here. Granite Peak Located in the Hualapai Mountains. Grapevine Canyon So called because of the Grapevines at the head. 1928 map shows it running west into Canyon Diablo. Another Grapevine Canyon begins off the west side of Grandview Point and flows into the Colorado River. Usually water can be found upper or lower in dry times. There is yet another one near Pearce Ferry. Great Thumb Mesa Named by Frank Bond, on Havasupai Land at the north end of the Coconino Plateau. A descriptive name, it looks like a huge thumb. Great Thumb Trail Descends The Great Thumb Mesa south of Tahuta Point to the Esplanade. Seldom used in modern times, it is an ancient Havasupai Trail. Below, but still a bit above the Esplanade is Great Thumb Spring, with a pipe and catchment. H
Hackberry Located west of the town of Peach Springs in Truxton Wash. Originally called Garden Spring by Beale. Called so "for the Hackberry mine which took its name from a large hackberry tree near a spring where the camp was." Hacks Canyon Named for Haskell Jolly whose nickname was Hack. he raised horses at a spring in the upper canyon. Always dry, it flows into Kanab Creek above Jumpup Canyon. A uranium mine was located in the upper canyon in the fifties to the seventies. Now all signs are removed. It can be located by the power lines that cross nearby. A jeep could make it to Kanab Creek. Hall Butte South and below Wotans Throne. Named after Andrew Hall, a member of Powell's first expedition. Named by Frank Bond. Hamblin Creek On the Navajo Reservation, begins at the lower end of the Echo Cliffs, flowing south into Moenkopi Wash. Named for Jacob Hamblin, an early Mormon missionary who frequented the area from the 1850's. Hance Creek Canyon begins below Buggein Hill east of Grandview Point. Named for Captain John Hance, the first permanent settler on the South Rim, in 1882. He operated a hotel near Grandview Point and had asbestos mines north of the river. The Old Hance Trail, which Hance improved from a Indian route, follows this Canyon to the river. Hancock Butte Located one mile to the south of Point Imperial off the North Rim. Named by Frank Bond for Captain William A. Hancock, an early pioneer who surveyed the townsite of Phoenix. Hansbrough Point Located directly across from Eminence Break in Marble Canyon. Named for Peter M. Hansbrough, a member of the Brown/Stanton expedition who drowned near House Rock Rapid. "We buried him under an overhanging cliff and named a magnificent point opposite 'Point Hansbrough'." Hardscrabble The first name of Fredonia, Arizona Hattan Butte Located on the east side of Bright Angel Creek, a couple of miles above Phantom Ranch. Named for Andrew Hatton, a member of Powell's second expedition who served as hunter and cook. Havasupai Indian Reservation Havasupai means 'People of the blue green water". Created on June 8, 1880, by President Hayes. The first historical reference to the Havasupai was in 1776 when Padre Garces visited seeking converts. They were first visited by Whipple in 1854. Powell also visited them. John D. Lee, of Lee's Ferry and the Mountain Meadows Massacre fame hid here for a number of years in the 1860's. Lee introduced peaches and alfalfa to the Supais'. The reservation was enlarged in 1975. Havasupai Point On the south rim east of Bass Camp. Named by George Wharton James. Havasu Canyon and Creek The lower end of Cataract Canyon. Padre Garces called the creek "Rio Jabesua" when he visited in 1776. His mission was to convert the Native Americans, and although they accepted him warmly, Garces was unsuccessful at converting anyone. Hawkins Butte Named for W. R. Hawkins, a member of Powell's first expedition, who served as hunter and cook. Located south of the Angels Gate (along with Dunn, Howlands, and Hall Buttes, all members of Powell's expeditions.) Named by Frank Bond. Hayden, Mount Named for Charles T. Hayden, an Arizona pioneer. Located below Point Imperial. Named by Frank Bond. Hermit Basin Trail begins at the end of the West Rim Drive behind Hermit's Rest. Named for Louis P. Brown, a miner and prospector, the "Hermit" who arrived at Grand Canyon in 1891. There is a famous photograph taken of him in the 1890's of him on his horse with a big beard. The creek begins at Santa Maria Spring. Excellent camping at the creek and a popular hike. Named for Louis Boucher. Hillers Butte Located below Buddha Temple a few miles north of Phantom ranch. Named by Powell for John K. Hillers, the photographer with the second expedition, in 1872. Dellenbaugh writes, "The Major returned to our camp from Salt Lake bringing a new member of the party... He had an excellent voice and often sang popular songs." Hopi Indian Reservation Created by President Arthur on December 16, 1882. Surrounded on all sides by Navajo land. Hopi Indians The Hopi founded Old Oraibi around 1200. It is the oldest, continually inhabited settlement in the U.S. The Hopi were first visited by the Spanish of Coronado in the year 1540. Earlier they were called Moki or Moqui which they did not like because it meant 'dead' in their language. They speak a Shoshonean dialect. They live on several mesa in N.E. Arizona. Few white people have ever seen their Snake Dance. Hopi Point On the West Rim Drive. Named for the Hopi Tribe, by J. Wharton James. Visitors from the Village like to go there for the amazing sunset views. In former times it was called Rowes Point for Sanford Rowe, an early prospector. Horseshoe Mesa Located below Grandview Point, a descriptive name. Pete Berry operated copper mines on the Mesa around 1890. Hot Na Na Small Canyon that flows north to the Colorado River at river mile 16.5 just upstream from House Rock Rapid. Hot Na Na means "narrow place" in the Navajo language. House Rock and House Rock Spring Located north 6 miles up the House Rock Valley road from 89A. In 1871, Dellenbaugh writes, "About sunset we passed two large boulders which had fallen together forming a shelter under which Riggs or some one else had slept. They had printed above it with charcoal the words 'Rock House Hotel.' Afterwards Jacob Hamblin and others referred to it as 'House Rock' or 'House Rock Valley.' So we called it by that name. A few yards away at the head of a gulch was a fine spring." House Rock Valley Begins at House Rock Spring, and runs below the Vermillion Cliffs, crosses Highway 89A and continues to the southeast to the Colorado River. Howlands Butte A mile or two west of the Angels Gate, below Wotans Throne. Named for Seneca and W. R. Howland, two brothers who were members of Powell's first expedition in 1869. They were later murdered along with William Dunn, in upper Separation Canyon by Shivwits Indians after leaving the Powell party. Hualapai Hilltop The beginning of the Hualapai Trail to the village of Supai. Led by Hualapai guides, Padre Garces descended this trail in 1776. At this time mules could not descend here as there was a ladder to be down-climbed. A paved road now leads to the Hilltop, and it is presently the main tourist and supply route to Supai. Hualapai Indian Reservation Set aside in January, 1883. On the south side of the park, west of the Havasupai land. Peach Springs is the main city on the reservation and the place to get permits for hiking on tribal land. Hualapai Indians Are from the Yuman tribe, living originally along the Colorado River below Fort Mojave. The word Hualapai translates to "Pine tree Folk". Much of their reservation is covered with pines, Yellow Pine. Hualapai Mountains Big mountains S.E. of Kingman, Arizona. The highest peak is Hualapai Peak at 8.268 feet. Hubbell Butte Located S.E. of Atoka Point. Named for Navajo trader, J. Lorenzo Hubbell who came to the reservation in 1871. Mr. Hubbell died at Ganado when he was 77 and was buried next to Chief Many Horses. Huethawali, Mount Located below South Bass Trailhead on the south side. 6,280 feet high. Huethawali is an Indian name for Observation Point. Humphrey's Peak The highest point in Arizona, 12,655 feet. Located near Flagstaff. Hundred and Fifty Mile Canyon 150 miles from Lee's Ferry on the Colorado River. The river miles were established by the 1923 U.S.G.S. survey. Upset Rapid is known for taking unsuspecting river runners by surprise. Also called SOB canyon by some. The route through the Redwall involves at least three rappels. Pioneered by George Steck and party. Hutton Butte Located S.E. of Point Imperial. Named for Oscar Hutton, by Frank Bond. Noted guide around 1870. He was killed by a mule who kicked him in the face, causing severe trauma. I
Ice Caves Located on the east side of the San Francisco Peaks, about 10 miles from Flagstaff. These caves have ice year round. The saloons in Flagstaff used ice from these caves in the 1880's. Indian Gardens Now a camp with good water, 4.5 miles down the Bright Angel Trail, on the way to Phantom Ranch. The Kolb brothers used to run down to develop pictures of the tourists and then run back up o the rim. Harvey says the Indian Garden of the Powell party is near Spring Canyon in the Western Canyon. Powell writes on August 16, 1869, "... we discovered an Indian Garden just where a little stream with a narrow flood plain comes down through a side canyon. The Indians have planted corn, and squashes, using water from springs for irrigating....we carried a dozen squashes to our boat. Never was fruit so sweet as those stolen squashes." Inscription House Ruin On Highway 160 through the Navajo Reservation near the huge Black Mesa coal mine. A beautiful, old, ancient ruin that can only be viewed by the public with a guide in the summer months. The name comes from an inscription carved in the ruin "S-hapiero Ano Domo 1661". J
Jacobs Pools Spring in the Vermillion Cliffs above the roadside monument to Escalante. Cowboys have put a pipe in the spring to bring water down below for stock. The trail is reputed to eventually reach the top of the Vermillion Cliffs. Dellenbaugh says, "Named after Jacob Hamlin, noted missionary and guide. He found good water by digging, and was the first white man to camp here." Jacobs Lake Near the junction of Highway's 67 and 89A on the Kaibab Plateau. A shallow flood water lake that depends on melting snow and rain for it's water. A small store, motel, and campground are located there. Jeffords Point Located below Atoka Point. Named for Thomas J. Jeffords, pioneer, and friend of Cochise, the great Apache Chief. Johnson Creek A small creek that flows into Kanab Creek near Fredonia. It is named for W. D. Johnson, a photographer on Powell's second expedition (for only a short time). Johnson Point Located two miles above Phantom Ranch. Named for Fred Johnson, an early park ranger, who drowned in Horn Creek Rapid in 1929. Jones Point Located across Bright Angel Creek from Johnson Point. Named for S. V. Jones, a member of John Wesley Powell's second expedition through the Grand Canyon. Jump Up Cabin Located at the head of Jump Up Canyon, it was built in 1906 as a Ranger Station. Cowboys and hikers used it over the years. It was rebuilt in 1997 by John Azar. Jump Up Canyon A side canyon of Kanab Creek. Now popular with hikers. The name refers to a high fall that can only be circumvented by climbing up or down a huge old, cottonwood tree. Called Stewart Canyon by Powell's second expedition for Levi Stewart, who established the first sawmill on Buckskin Mountain at Big Springs. Powell and his men stayed there fro a while during the winter of 1871/72. K
Kabito Plateau Also a spring, located on the Navajo side of Marble Canyon. Kabito is a Navajo word that means 'willows at a spring.' Kaibab Forest The forest on the North and South sides of the Canyon. It was originally just called Kaibab. Kaibab Indian Reservation Located west of Fredonia, a small reservation for the Kaibab Indians. (Pah Ute) Kaibab National Forest Forest headquarters are in Kanab, Utah. The forest was first established February 20, 1893 as the Grand Canyon Forest Reserve. In 1908, the name was changed to the Kaibab National Forest. Kaibab Plateau Located on the north side of Grand Canyon with some elevations exceeding 9,000 feet. Powell writes, "This is called by the Indians 'Kaibab' or 'mountain lying down,' so we adopted the name." Also called Buckskin Mountain. Kaibab Suspension Bridge The Black Bridge was built in 1928. All the materials were either hand carried or carried by mules from the rim. Kanab Creek Kanab is a Piute word meaning willow. Anyone who has been in the upper creek bed knows that this name fits very well. The stream rises above Kanab, Utah, and flows into the Colorado River. Seasonally dry in many places. Kangaroo Headland An outline resembling a kangaroo, located on the west side of the Great Thumb Mesa. Kayenta A large town near Monument Valley on Highway 160. It is named by John Wetherhill who established a trading post here in 1909. Kayenta means "at the pits where the animals fall in". The Navajo and Zuni used to have game pits in the area to trap animals. Kibbey Butte Named for Joseph H. Kibbey, an early Arizona pioneer around the end of the nineteenth century. Located below the rim east of Greenland Lake. Kivagunt Valley Probably the present day Kwagunt near Nankoweap. Dellenbaugh says, "This was a lovely valley in the Grand Canyon. So called by Powell on his first trip through the Canyon. Kivagunt was the name of a Pai-Ute Indian who said he owned the valley." Kwagunt Creek Located south of Nankoweap about two miles. The Canyon begins below Atoka Point and flows to the Colorado River. There is good, flowing water below the spring. Kwagunt Hollow Flows to the west into Jump Up Creek. Dellenbaugh writes, "Kivagunt was the name of a Pai-Ute Indian who said he owned the valley." Bob Marley says, "Kwagunt Hollow is below Sowats Point and is a fine tributary of Kanab Creek. It is known for its running water, good group campsite, and small waterfall. It is frequently used to leave the Canyon. From the river, up Kanab Creek, to Jumpup, up Kwagunt Hollow, to Sowats Trail." L
Lava Creek Begins south of Atoka Point and flows to the Colorado River. Named by the U.S.G.S. Lava Falls Just past mile 179, one of the most feared rapids, a 37 foot drop over the remnant of a ancient volcanic flow. A extremely steep, rugged trail takes hikers from Toroweap down to the big rapid. Also called Vulcan Rapid. Lee Canyon Named for John D. Lee, who lived with the Havasupai's for a number of years. It flows into Havasu Canyon on the east side. The Topocoba Trail follows Lee Canyon. Some people doubt that Lee really hid among the Havasupai. Lees Ferry On the bank of the Colorado River, just above the mouth of the Paria River, at an elevation of 3,170 feet. Originally called Lonely Dell by John D. Lee who established the ferry in 1872. His wife ran the ferry for a number of years while he was on the lam. Lee was executed in 1877. The widow Lee sold the ferry in 1879. The ferry stayed mostly in use until 1929 when the Navajo Bridge was completed. Lees Ferry Bridge Also called Navajo Bridge. A narrow two lane bridge was completed on January 12, 1929. A new bridge was built in the early 1990's next to the old one that is stronger and wider. The original bridge is now only open to foot traffic. There is also a new visitor center there. Le Fevre Canyon Named for the Le Fevre family who once grazed sheep in this area. Located off the western side of the Kaibab Plateau. Leroux Spring Located near Flagstaff, this was an early camping place for explorers in the middle 1850's. It is named for Antoine Leroux, a French guide. Limestone Tanks On Highway 89, 27 miles south of Lees Ferry. A waterhole in a limestone formation. Little Nankoweap Creek Located just north of Nankoweap Creek. Usually dry. M
Manzanita Creek Named for the scrub of the same name. Begins off the Walhalla Plateau across from Bright Angel Point and flows into Bright Angel Creek about a mile above Cottonwood Campground. Marble Canyon A small store, lodge, laundry, and post office on the north side of the bridge. See the Marble Gorge below. Marble Gorge Named by Powell on his first trip in 1869 who determined it to be separate from both Glen Canyon and Grand Canyon. Refers to the river between the Paria and the Little Colorado. "We have cut through the sandstones and limestones met in the upper part of the canyon and through one great bed of marble a thousand feet in thickness. So we call it Marble Canyon," Powell writes. Now mostly called Marble Canyon. Marcos Terrace The Esplanade Terrace above Explorers Monument and across from Elves Chasm. Named after Fray Marcos, the famous Spanish Padre, by the U.S.G.S. Maricopa Point Located on the West Rim, 1 mile east of Hopi Point. Named for the Maricopa Tribe. Marion Point Located off the Nankoweap Trail south and under Saddle Mountain. Named for John H. Marion, a nineteenth century pioneer. Marsh Butte Named for Professor Marsh, a paleontologist, by George Wharton James. Located on the south side of the Granite Gorge. Matakatamiba Canyon Begins off the Great Thumb and flows north to the Colorado River. Usually has good water in the lower end, and is a favorite stop of river runners. Named for a Havasupai family. Merriwitica Canyon A side Canyon of the Colorado River on the Hualapai Reservation. Spencer lived there. Dove Menkes writes, "'Wickyty-wzz' That is what's now called Merriwitica. In 19th century reports one sees spellings like Wickyt-wizz and similar. They had problems pronouncing it and writing it phonetically. If you say 'Merriwitica' it won't sound right - that is like Hualapai pronounce it. For correct pronunciation refer to the anthropological literature, or ask an Hualapai." Millett Point Named for Frank Millett, a famous artist who was lost on the Titanic. North side? Moenkopi Wash Flows from Black Mesa to the Little Colorado River ten miles below Cameron. The stream has some water year round. A Hopi word, "Place of the running water." Mohawk Canyon Begins on the Hualapai Reservation and flows into the Colorado River west of Havasupai Creek. River Mile 171.5 Mooney Falls The beautiful, famous fall on Havasu Creek below the village of Supai. Named for James Mooney, prospector, who fell to his death from the top of Bridal Veil Falls in January, 1880. W. W. Bass reported that the body remained at the foot of the cliff in 1884. Later, someone brought the body up to the top of the cliff and buried it and placed a headstone at the grave. Moran Point On the East Rim drive between Grandview Point and Desert View. Named for Thomas Moran, the great artist who visited the Canyon in 1881 and did many famous paintings of Grand Canyon. Formerly called Ute Point. Mount Hayden Below Point Imperial, at 8372 feet. Named for Ferdinand Vandiveer Hayden, leader of the Hayden Survey of the American West , 1871-1878. Mount Trumbell The area west of Toroweap, Mount Trumbell is the high point at 7,700 feet. named by Major Powell for Senator Lyman Trumbell of Connecticut. Legend says all the timber for the Mormon Temple at St George were cut here and hauled to St. George. Muav Canyon Begins below Swamp Point at the Mauv Saddle. A old hunting cabin is located on the saddle that legend says was used by Teddy Roosevelt on one of his hunting trips to the Kaibab Plateau. It still provides shelter to hikers. The North bass Trail descends down Mauv Canyon following White Creek. Named by Powell in 1869. Mystic Spring Located on the edge of the Esplanade, below the first Supai ledges, off the South Bass Trail just below Spencer Terrace rim, on the North side of Mount Huethawali. Mystic Spring was incorrectly shown of the Matthes-Evans Map. It is not much more than a seep, but with improvements it holds water. Showed to W.W. Bass by Captain Buro. Bass gave him a side of beef for his efforts. Using a picture found in the J. Wharton James book, it's exact location has been confirmed by Harvey Butchart, Billingsley, Doc Thomas, and others in the 1970's. Harvey writes, "It is at the angle where Spencer Terrace extends to the west. When I was near Mystic Spring I found the hole in the rocks that has the tunnel going out on the level of the camp. I climbed down getting some assistance from the redbud tree in the bottom. The spring was flowing about as it was last spring at this time, but there is no basin." N
Nail Canyon Flows north into Snake Gulch on the west side of the Kaibab Plateau. Big Spring flows into Nail Canyon but the water disappears before it reaches Snake Gulch. Named for and early settler by the name of Nagel. Nankoweap Creek Located south of Saddle Mountain. A large, rugged canyon with a permanent stream that sees trout spawn in the spring. There are more than 40 archeological sites in Nankoweap Canyon. Named by Powell on his second trip. "Pae Ute word meaning 'singing' or 'echo' canyon, because of the deep echo." Natchi Canyon Drains into upper Lava Creek. Natchi was the second son of Cochise, famous Apache Chief. Naji Point Located on the west side of Lava Creek, north of Cape Final. National Canyon A large canyon that begins on the Hualapai Reservation and drains into the Colorado River. Ten miles or so west of Havasu Creek, next to Mohawk Canyon. About River Mile 166. Navajo Bridge A narrow two lane bridge, 467 feet above the river, that was completed on January 12, 1929. A new bridge was built in the early 1990's next to the old one, that is stronger and wider. The original bridge is now only open to foot traffic. There is also a new visitor center there. Also called Lee's Ferry Bridge. Navajo Mountain Located on the Navajo Reservation at the Arizona/Utah line. Seen by Major Powell on his expeditions. Navajo Spring A fine camp in the early days, ten miles south of Lee's Ferry. North Canyon Parallels South Canyon on the north side of Marble Canyon. Usually dry except for pothole water. Novinger Butte Located south of Point Imperial in the Nankoweap Basin. Named for Simon Novinger, a pioneer of the Slat River Valley in 1873. Named by Frank Bond. O
Oak Spring On the Hualapai Reservation, just beneath the upper rim. Where? Obi Canyon Small canyon that begins on the Walhalla Plateau and flows into Clear Creek. Obi means Pinon Tree. Ochoa Point The end of the Basalt Cliffs on the north side across from Tanner Beach. Named by Frank Bond for Esteban Ochoa, a Tucson businessman before the Civil War. Olo Canyon The first canyon on the south side after Kanab Creek. A favorite river camp. Olo means horse in the Havasupai language. The mesa above on the Esplanade is also called Olo Mesa. O'Neill Butte Large butte located just below Cedar Ridge on the South Kaibab Trail. Named for Captain William O. Buckey O'Neill of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders who was killed in the Spanish American war. O'Neill said, "God made the Canyon, and John Hance the trails. Neither would be complete without the other." O'Neill Spring Located below the Grandview Trail and Horseshoe Mesa near Cottonwood Creek. Named for Buckey O'Neill. It is dry now. P
Painted Desert An area north and east of the Little Colorado River. Although, it is reported that Coronado first called this area the Painted Desert, Ives, in 1858, was actually the first one to document use of the name. Powell said. "The marls and soft rocks of the Painted Desert are of many colors, chocolate, red, vermillion, pink, buff, and grey." The area is easily seen from the Desert View Watchtower. Palisades Creek South of Cape Solitude, draining off the Palisades of the Desert. Dry. Palisades of the Desert The impressive wall seen from Desert View and other East Rim Points extending from Cape Solitude, past Comanche Point to the head of Tanner Canyon. Named by a U.S.G.S. party in 1886. Panya Point A point above the junction of Havasu canyon and Lee Canyon. An old jeep trail goes to this point for the Hualapai Hilltop Road. Named for a Havasupai family. Papago Creek Begins on the South Rim west of the Tusayan Ruins. Between 75 Mile canyon and Red Canyon. Papago Point is located above the canyon. Named by Frank Bond for the Papago Indians. Paria River Spelled Pahreah in former times. The stream begins in Utah and flows into the Colorado River near Lee's Ferry. The flow is year round but subject to flooding especially in monsoon season. One section is known for its impressive narrows. The old Utah Arizona Road came down this stream. In even earlier times Escalante traveled the Paria in 1776. Paria means 'dirty water' or 'Elk water' in the Ute language. A Mormon town was established near the state line in 1892. The town was abandoned when they found out it was actually in Arizona and not Utah. Paria Plateau The area above the Vermillion Cliffs and south of the Utah state line. Lots of Pinon and Juniper trees and red sand. Parishawampitts Canyon Mostly on the Kaibab Plateau above Crazy Jug Point. A spring on the plateau called Parishawampitts Spring bubbles and boils out of the ground. Seldom visited. There is also a point of the same name south of Crazy Jug. Pattie Butte North of Shoshone Point. Named for Sylvester Pattie, prospector, trapper, by Frank Bond. Pattie was the first American to visit the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, in 1825. Paya Point On the west side of Great Thumb, near Mount Akaba. It is named for a Havasupai family. Peach Springs A town on old highway 66, on the Hualapai Reservation. Peach Springs was first visited by Garces in 1776. the actual springs are 6 miles north of the town, and indeed, there are peach trees growing there. The Navajo, Hopi, and Havasupai all grew peach trees which they obtained from the Spanish settlements of the Rio Grande. Peach Springs Draw Begins at Peach Springs and enters Diamond Creek at Diamond Peak. Phantom Ranch Originally called "Rust's Camp" and built in 1903 for tourists and hunters traveling to and from the North Rim. David Rust and his father in law partner E.D. Woolley planted cottonwoods and fruit trees, and constructed trails. He improved the Matthes trail down the Bright Angel Creek. In 1907 he built a cable car across the river. In 1922, Mary Jane Colter designed the tourist accommodations there and renamed it Phantom Ranch. There was even a swimming pool there at one time. Pierce Ferry (Pearce) A ferry established east of Iceberg Canyon by Harrison Pearce, in December, 1876. It became 'Pierce' later when it was accidentally misspelled on maps. Now the favorite takeout of Colorado River runners on Lake Mead. Pine Hollow Begins near Big Spring in the Kaibab Forest and then runs to the Colorado River. Pine Springs On the Hualapai Reservation at the rim. Garces called this spot "Rose Well" because of the abundance of wild roses around the spring. A post office was there in 1879. Pipe Springs On the Kaibab Indian Reservation a few miles west of Fredonia. Now a small village and National Monument. Powell said the local Indians called it "yellow rock springs" after the rock color of the area. The water is still good and plentiful. Piute Point A point on the South Rim above Sapphire Canyon at an elevation of 6,632 feet. It once had the distinction of being called Grand View Point. Pivot Rock Location unknown. "Spring comes out of a rock and drops about 30 feet. Cave can be entered to about 400 feet." On the Coconino National Forest Map of 1928. Plateau of Arizona No longer in use but includes the area bounded by the Grand Canyon on the north, the Little Colorado on the east and the Mogollon Rim to the south, and including the San Francisco Mountains. By the U.S.G.S. Point Imperial On the south east side of the Kaibab Plateau. The highest point at 8803 feet. Overlooking Mount Hayden, Saddle Mountain, and the Navajo Reservation. Formerly called Skidoo Point. Poston Butte East of Lava Creek, below Naji Point, near Cape Final. Named by Frank Bond for Charles D. Poston, an early Arizona pioneer. Pot Holes In the present day South Kaibab National Forest. They are deep crater openings where water will stay after a monsoon or snow. Also used to hold horses or cattle as a corral. On the 1927 Tusayan National Forest Map. Powell, Lake The huge man-made lake that sets behind Glen Canyon Dam. It took 17 years to fill the lake beginning in 1963. Named for Major John Wesley Powell, a former Union Officer in the Civil War who did the first scientific exploration of the Colorado River and surrounding area. His first voyage started from Green River, Wyoming, on May 24, 1869. Powell Plateau Plateau on the north side of the river below Swamp Point. It can be seen from the South Rim Village to the west. Even today this is a little visited area. Named for Major John Wesley Powell. President Harding Rapid River Mile 43. Named in 1923 by a survey party who was camped there when they heard of the President's death. Below Eminence Break. Prospect Canyon Begins on the Hualapai Reservation in the western Grand Canyon and ends at the Colorado River. Named by Franklin French and John Conners, two prospectors. R
Red Butte In the South Kaibab National Forest and made of red Moenkopi Sandstone, this Butte is easily seen by all approaching the South Rim. A descriptive name, at 7,600 fee, there is a trail to the top and a fire lookout. Called by the Havasupai's "mountain of the clenched fist" or Huegadawiza. Red Horse Wash Flows into Cataract Canyon west of Anita in the South Kaibab National Forest. Garces camped and obtained water here in 1776. Refuge Cave A cave at the rim of the Mile 21.7 Wash on the Navajo Reservation. Named by P. T. Reilly, the cave is formed by faulting. Legend has it that this is a cave that Indians would use to escape to the river from the Navajos. Arrowheads, torches, and even pots were found here. Roundy Creek Flows from the Echo Cliffs on the Navaho Reservation at Cedar Mesa to the Colorado River. Named for Bishop Lorenzo Roundy who drowned at Lee's Ferry on May 28, 1876. Rowe Knob Not on 1962 Grand Canyon National Park Map, but shown on 1926 Kaibab National Forest Map. Located two miles northwest of the El Tovar. Now the Battleship? Named for Sanford Rowe, an early prospector. Rowes Point Also renamed. Now known as Hopi Point. Named for Sanford Rowe, an early prospector. Rowes Well Three miles southwest of Grand Canyon Village, just off the road to Pasture Wash. Formerly a ranger station. Named for Sanford Rowe, an early prospector. Russell Butte Named by James for the "geologist who traced the beaches of the pre-historic Lake Lohanton." Located in the Grand Canyon, Russell Butte has not been located. Russell Tank Located in the South Kaibab National Forest south of Grand View Point. They used to stock the tank with trout. You can get to it down the old dump road, but it is actually closer to the Grand View fire tower than the Canyon Squire. I wonder if Russell Tank is named for the Geologist Russell? Some think it is named for a Babbitt cowboy named Russell. S
Saddle Canyon Begins at Saddle Mountain and flows northeast into the Colorado River. There is often water in the upper end due to its high location and abundant snow. From places along Highway 89A the view shows the descriptive name of a huge saddle. The beginnings of the Nankoweap trail begin here. San Francisco Mountains Just outside of Flagstaff, a n area of high volcanic peaks. Named by Marcos de Niza in 1539, "The Kingdom of San Francisco." A scared place to the Hopi. They call them the "High Place of Snow." The Havasupai call them Huehassapatch which means mountain or big rock. The high peaks include Humphrey's, 12,655; Agassiz, 12,300; and Fremont, 11,940. Sapphire Canyon One of the "gems" located west of Boucher Creek. Named by Major Powell. Separation Canyon Toward the western end of the Grand Canyon at river mile 240. When Lake Mead is full the lake water will back up beyond this point. Named by Powell when the Howland brothers and Dunn left the party in 1869 to walk out. They were later murdered. A plaque near the beach commemorates the event. Shinumo Altar A large butte on the Navaho Reservation on the road from Cedar Mesa. When viewed from Highway 89A on the north side of the Colorado River it really looks like a huge altar. Dellenbaugh writes, "I named it Shinumo Alter because from where I stood it looked like an altar." Major Powell had talked about the Shinumo people who lived in this area long ago. Said to be an early branch of the Hopi. Shinumo means 'peace' in the Hopi language. Shinumo Creek Begins at Big Spring above the Shinumo Amphitheater and flows to the Colorado River. W.W. Bass and his men frequented this area. A camp still remains below the junction with White Creek. Shinumo Wash Just downstream of River mile 29 on the Navajo Reservation. Shinumo Wash provides a historic route from rim to river. Shiva Temple A huge temple off Tiyo Point on the north side at 7,650 feet. Named by Clarence Dutton after a Hindu God. Considered unclimbable, it was believed the plateau was cut off from the rest of the plateau country for as many as fifty thousand years and would yield unique species of plants and animals. Scientists from New York's American Museum of Natural History climbed in Shiva in 1937 only to find three empty tomato cans, two kodak film canisters, and a tissue with lipstick on it left by Emery Kolb and party. The party included Emery, Gordon Berger, Ruth Stephens, Ralph White and Edith Kolb. Shivwits Plateau In the west end of Grand Canyon, beyond Toroweap and Lava Falls. The high point is Mount Dellenbaugh and the surrounding area called the Parashont, "plenty of water." Parashant Canyon descends to the Colorado River. Sieber Point South of the Saddle of Saddle Mountain. Named for Al Sieber, U.S. army scout for General Crook during Apache wars led by Geronimo. He was respected by the Army and Apache. During the construction of the Roosevelt Dam 1905, Al Sieber supervised the Apache Indians. In 1907 a major cliff was detonated, which created an unstable placement of a boulder on top of a smaller rock at the construction site. Al Sieber had not hesitated during the Apache wars to shoot at Indians, but in this situation he realized the danger, and advised the Apaches to stay away so that he could remove this unstable boulder. Because of his stiff leg, he was not able to immediately jump away so that he was killed by the moving boulder. The accident occurred on February 19th, 1907. Al was born in Mingolsheim, Germany. Silver Bridge The silver bridge over the Colorado River near Phantom Ranch was built about 1968. The bridge also includes a water pipeline to the South Rim from Roaring Springs. Prior to this time water was hauled to Grand Canyon Village via train. Sinking Ship North of the Buggeln Hill picnic area on the East Rim Drive. The strata is tilted so it looks like a ship with three smoke-stacks is sinking. A small Anazasi ruin is located there. Known as the Three Castles until 1930. Sinyala Canyon North of Mount Sinyala, flowing to the Colorado River. Named for Judge Sinyala, a Havasupai Chief. Sinyala Mesa Area around Mount Sinyala on the Esplanade level. Sinyala, Mount Located across from Deadhorse Mesa on the south side above Havasu Creek, 5,434 feet. Sixtymile Creek Begins below Gunther Castle and ends at the Colorado River. North of Chuar Butte. Dry. Snake Gulch On the extreme west side of the Kaibab Plateau, flowing into Kanab Creek. "It is exceedingly crooked snake like canyon." Many pictographs are located here and at one time a jeep road went all the way to the confluence with Kanab Creek. A cabin, corral, rock walls, and other cowboy stuff still exist there. Sockdolager Rapids The first major rapid in the Granite Gorge. Located at the end of Hance Creek on the river. South Canyon Along with North Canyon, South Canyon begins on the North Kaibab Plateau, and flows to the Colorado River in Marble Canyon. The House Rock Buffalo Ranch is located along the canyon on the strip. Vasey's Paradise is visible from the beach. Sowats Canyon On the far west side of the Kaibab Plateau, Sowats flows into Jump Up Canyon. Originally a Piute word, "Showap" the word was corrupted over time. Showap was a plant that the Piutes smoked like tobacco. Specter Terrace Off the southwest side of the Powell Plateau on the Esplanade level across the river from Specter Chasm. In this area the Colorado River is flowing northeast. Spencer Canyon Located at the lower end of Milkweed Creek in the western Grand Canyon. Named for Charlie Spencer, a scout and guide for Crook, and the Wheeler expedition of 1872-1873. Spencer lived among the Hualapai until he was murdered. Spencer Trail Near Lee's Ferry. ascending the 1500 foot Paria Plateau. Constructed in 1910 by Charles Spencer to bring coal from Warm Creek to fire the boilers running the pumps and sluices. In the years of 1910/1912 he attempted to sluice gold from the Chinle Shale at Lee's Ferry. The ruins of his 92 foot stern wheeler, "The Charles H. Spencer can still be seen up from the launch ramp at Lee's ferry. Steamboat Mountain South of Tapeats Amphitheater draining Saddle Canyon on the east and north and Stone and Galloway to the south. 7422 feet. Sturdevant Point Below the Buddha Cloister, above lower Phantom Creek. Named for Glen E. Sturdevant, early park ranger and naturalist who drowned in Horn Creek Rapid in 1929. Sublime Point Named by Clarence Dutton in 1880. Point Sublime is a bold headland on the southern end of the Kaibab Plateau. A high clearance road gives access in the summer and fall. Elevation 7,465 feet. Sullivan Peak Just southwest of Point Imperial. Named for J. W. Sullivan, early Arizona pioneer. Sumner Butte Above Phantom Ranch to the east. The Clear Creek Trail goes right under Sumner Butte. Named for John D. Sumner, hunter and trapper with Major Powell's first expedition in 1869. Named by Frank Bond. Sunset Crater A volcanic cone northeast of Flagstaff. A National Monument since 1930. Powell writes, "When seen from a distance in the setting sun the bright red cinders seem to be on fire. From this we gave it the name Sunset Mountain." Supai The village in Havasu Canyon of the Havasupai. Access these days is by foot, horse, and helicopter. Many tourists visit here to see the wonderful waterfalls. Havasu Creek floods occasionally causing damage to the crops, village, and falls. Swilling Butte Located between Kwagunt and Nankoweap Creeks. Named for J. W. Swilling, who came to Arizona in 1859. Named by Frank Bond. T
Tahuta Terrace Northwest of Great Thumb Point, just below Tahuta Point. Named for Tahuta Jones, a venerable Havasupai woman. Tanner Canyon Begins below Desert View. The Tanner Trail starts at Lipan Point. This was one end of the early Horsethief Trail, the other being Saddle Mountain. In the early days prospectors and others used this trail to cross the Canyon. Rumors that horsethiefs drove horses stolen from the Mormons to Arizona to sell, and visa versa are unsubstantiated. In 1925, the state of Arizona attempted to drive 5,000 deer from the north side to the south side, failing miserably. Named for Seth B. Tanner, a Mormon pioneer, who used this trail while living at Tuba City. Tanner Crossing On the Little Colorado, near Cameron, a rock crossing used in the 1800's. The Little Colorado is famous for quicksand when water is flowing. Located a mile upstream from the present highway bridge. Tapeats Creek Beautiful creek below Monument Point that begins as a spring in Tapeats Cave and flows to the Colorado River. Stina Creek and Thunder River add to the flow. Named by Major Powell after a Pai Ute Indian who showed him the place. Tapeats Terrace West of Steamboat Mountain, above Tapeats Creek, a broad descending set of benches in the Esplanade. Tatahatso Point Tatahatsu means "The land that juts out" in Navajo. The point is located on the Navajo Reservation at Eminence Break, north and above President Harding Rapid. Tatahaso Canyon is at river mile 37.5 and provides aroute from the Redwall to the Rim. Tenneys Gulch A canyon with a spring at the head on the west side of the Kaibab Plateau, flowing into Kanab Creek. Named for Ammon Tenney, who traveled with Powell in 1870, to the Hopi Villages and Fort Defiance. Thompson Canyon Begins in Little park and flows south into Bright Angel Creek. From the 1926 Kaibab National Forest map. Not on current map. Three Castles Also called the Sinking Ship. Thunder River Begins as two springs in caves in the Redwall cliff east of Surprise Valley, near Tapeats Creek. The water roars and foams a short distance to Tapeats Creek. This is one of the world's shortest rivers. Topaz Canyon Located between Boucher and Slate Canyons, flowing into the Colorado River. One of the "gems." Named by Major Powell. Topocoba Hilltop At the head of Lee Canyon, the other easy route to Supai. Once the main trail for supplies and tourists, it is seldom used these days. Topocoba means "hilltop spring" in the Havasupai language. The spring is about a half a mile down the trail. Padre Garces left Supai by this trail in 1776 and John Doyle Lee used it in the 1860's. Tower of Babel On the Hualapai Reservation, near Diamond Canyon, a prominent butte. Tritle Peak To the north of Atoka Point off the east side of the Walhalla Plateau. Named for F. A. Trittle, one of the first owners of the Jerome Copper mine and a former governor of Arizona in the 1880's. Tuba City A Mormon colony in the late 1800's. Named for the Hopi Chief Tuba. Tuba guided Jacob Hamblin through the area in 1871. Tuba is an oasis in the desert, where a giant spring is located. The area was used for raising corn and squash by the ancestors of the Hopi. Tucket Canyon Located ten miles east of Toroweap. Turquoise Canyon Part of the "gems" named by Major Powell. Located south of Walapai Point. Tuweap Area is also know as Toroweap, offers outstanding view of the western Grand Canyon and trail access to lava Falls. A ranger station and campground are located here. U
Uncle Jim Point Above Roaring Springs Canyon, named for Uncle Jim Owens, a local pioneer settler. Uinkaret Plateau Named by Powell for the area west of the Kaibab Indian Reservation in the northwest corner of the state. A Piute word meaning "where the pines grow." Upset Rapids Six miles below Kanab Creek, named for an unwary 1923 Geological Survey party. Utah Flats Area above Phantom Ranch to the west, below Cheops Pyramid. Charlie Bongo says, "Named by Wayne Rainey in 1975 or 1976 who thought it looked like places in Utah. He was a Ranger at Phantom a few months when I first started at Phantom." V
Valle "Valley" A small open valley 20 miles south of the South Rim currently undergoing runaway development. There is very little to no water in the area. Vaseys Paradise Near the mouth of South Canyon, a huge spring of fresh, clean water, with greenery and poison ivy growing along the banks. The first green after many miles of red along the river. "Powell named it for Vasey, the botanist, a friend of his," writes Dellenbaugh. Vulcan's Anvil Located in the Colorado River at mile 178. An exposed volcanic neck of lava. Vulcan's Throne Located on the north side of the Colorado River about six miles from Mount Emma, overlooking Lava Falls. Named by Captain Dutton of the U.S.G.S. for the huge cinder cone resembling a throne, and setting high above the surrounding area. W
Wash Henry Trail Wash Henry Trail was the early name for the trail on the south side down from the Tonto Plateau to the Rust Cable (which was strung below where the present Kaibab Bridge is today.) The exact path of the trail is not known - but part of it was incorporated into what the Park Service renamed the Cable Trail in 1925, and then later, the S. Kaibab. Some people believe the Wash Henry didn't go down the steep slope from the Tonto (like the S. Kaibab does today) Instead they believe it traversed around from Pipe Creek. Wash Henry is what many folks call the Old Miner's Trail, located a bit downstream from the Silver Bridge. There is a big cairn on top. Gale Burak turned me on to the trail originally, but she and others just called it an or the Old Miner's Trail. White Creek Begins at Mauv Saddle, in Muav Canyon and flows south to Shinumo Creek. The North Bass Trail follows White Creek. Named for James White. Whites Butte Above Travertine Canyon, between Hermit and Boucher. Named for James White, a prospector, who in 1867, with Captain C. Baker and Henry Strole journeyed through the Grand Canyon. Baker was killed by Indians and Strole drowned in a rapid. White floated the river on a driftwood log and claimed to have come the entire length of the Canyon. His story is very much in doubt. Robert Stanton interviewed White and determined he entered the river at Grand Wash and floated 60 miles to Callville, Nevada. Named by Frank Bond. Wickyty-wizz Canyon A side Canyon of the Colorado River on the Hualapai Reservation. Spencer lived there. Dove Menkes writes, "'Wickyty-wzz' That is what's now called Merriwitica. In 19th century reports one sees spellings like Wickyt-wizz and similar. They had problems pronouncing it and writing it phonetically. If you say 'Merriwitica' it won't sound right - that is like Hualapai pronounce it. For correct pronunciation. refer to the anthropological literature, or ask an Hualapai." Willaha A Havasupai word for water hole. Originally a large tank that held snowmelt and monsoon water. later a railroad station. The Willaha Road is now often called the Power Line Road, and begins at the south edge of the South Kaibab Forest. This extremely rough road will take you to Hualapai Hilltop, eventually. Whitmore Wash North side in the western Grand Canyon. Named for Dr. James A. Whitmore who settled in the area in 1863. He was killed in 1866. Wodo Butte Now called Mount Wodo. Located east of the village of Supai above Putesoi Canyon. Named for a Havasupai Family by the U.S.G.S. Woolsey Butte Located near Point Imperial. Named for King S. Woolsey, an early Arizona pioneer by U.S.G.S. Y
Yumtheska Mesa The Mesa southwest and above the confluence of Havasu Creek and the Colorado River below Yumtheska Point. Named for a Havasupai Family by the U.S.G.S. Yunosi Point Five miles south of the Village of Supai in Havasu Canyon. Named for a Havasupai Family by the U.S.G.S. Z
Zuni Point Located on the East Rim Drive. Named for the Zuni People.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Arizona Place Names, Will C. Barnes, The University of Arizona Press, 1988 The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons, J. W. Powell, Dover, 1895 Colorado River in Grand Canyon, A Guide, Larry Stevens, Red Lake Books, 1983 Grand Canyon National Park and Vicinity, Arizona. Map 1962 Grand Canyon Treks I, II, III Harvey Butchart, La Siesta Press, 1970, 1975, 1984 Jump Up Cabin, John Azar, The Ol' Pioneer, January 1997 Harvey Butchart, Editorial Consultant Mike Mahanay, Personal Experience The Romance of the Colorado River, Frederick Dellenbaugh, 1902 Rough Water Man, Richard E. Westwood, University of Nevada Press, 1992 The Story of the Grand Canyon, Edwin Corle, Duell, Sloan, & Pierce, 1951
Thanks to Mike Quinn, Bob Marley, Charlie Bongo, Dove Menkes for suggestions and corrections!!
Special thanks to Harvey Butchart for editing this page!!
The activities described in this web site are potentially dangerous. Canyoneering, rock climbing, and mountaineering involve unavoidable risks including the risk of serious bodily injury and death. All forms of wilderness recreation have a higher level of risk than most ordinary activities. The owner and publisher of this web site do not assume any responsibility or liability for your safety. Those who use this information, and those who venture onto mountainous terrain, do so at their own risk. Disclaimer
Much of Treks is a
compilation of various contributors!
If so, drop me a email at